Influences and inspirations
Artists whose work resonates with me:
- Dave McKean – Formative. Discovered his work while in art school. Early days of Photoshop: Mixed media, collage and great drawing combined. Signal to Noise, Mr. Punch, Pictures that Tick,…
- Bill Sienkiewicz – One of the very best. Very expressive drawing, and painterly use of color, from sweet and subtle to super aggressive.
- Ralph Steadman – Again, very expressive ink. The public library in Rotterdam had his I, Leonardo, which I kept lending.
- Marcel Duchamp – Nude descending a staircase, for blending the multi-facetted perspectives of cubism with the dynamic sense of movement of futurism. And The Large Glass, a completely unique and complex piece.
- Constant – New Babylon. “His utopian New Babylon project proposes an ideal worldwide city of the future in which rapid change is a key assumption and life is to be lived ‘vertically’. Designed to be flexible, its buildings will form a network of structures supported on pillars and extending all over Europe.”
- Also: Peter Doig, Pierre Bonnard
- Metal – Rush and Opeth for intricate epics, Mastodon, Slayer and Morbid Angel for unbridled energy
- Electronic – Hugely impressed by Burial. Ken Ishii (Extra),
- Jazz – Cannonball Adderley for eloquence and groove. Charles Mingus.
- Hiphop – Dr. Octagon, Cannibal Ox, DJ Spinna…
- William Burroughs – Naked Lunch, his work with Brion Gysin, textual collage, cut-up, sampling
- Alan Watts – “The whole secret of life and of creative energy consists in flowing with gravity.”
No conclusions, yet.
25 Jan 2015